Monday, February 22, 2010

How Do You Want To Be Remembered?

Donna Burstyn says:

Life and death feel very close to me, with my brother’s yartzeit and my father’s heart attack, and my clients…

I’m thinking about – how do we want to be remembered?

Who is it most important that we are remembered by?

What’s most important in our lives?

You can judge that by the amount of time you give to things and people.

I once heard a rabbi say that wherever your feet are, that’s where you give the most attention. When people say their family is most important, but their feet happen to be at work most of the time, that’s a better indication of what’s most important to them.

We can rationalize. I did this for years. I’m working several jobs so that I can provide for my family. It was true, but work was getting more of me than my family did. Do we want to be remembered as good workers? Do we want to be remembered as good providers? Do we want to be remembered as people available to others? Do we want to be remembered as selfless or selfish?

Read On



No comments: