Monday, July 5, 2010

Nine Eleven Changed Jewish Life

Luke Ford writes:

In his 2004 lecture on Deuteronomy 14, Dennis Prager says:

“Nine eleven changed Jewish life… The things that I can say in lectures to Jews now that do not elicit hoots and boos and derision is unbelievable. I could not talk about Jewish choseness before 9/11. Nowhere do Jewish audiences now find this bizarre. Real evil has confronted them. The centrality of Jew hatred in the world has made it evident that there may be some truth that Jews walk a different path. Any Jew with any Jewish identity is now prepared to hear this without laughing or bouncing the lecture fee. I am stunned. I speak more now in Jewish life than ever before. Sixty two Jewish communities last year and I don’t take all the ones I’m invited to. I can’t obviously.

“I say this almost all the time and it’s unbelievable to me. I’m pinching myself. They’re not yelling at me? They are giving this a standing ovation in Dallas? The largest group of Jews ever to convene in Texas I spoke to last year and I spoke about [Jewish choseness]. There is no other way to understand Israel and the centrality of Jews in the world and the hatred? I believe America is hated because it is the one society in history to affirm Jewish choseness. It is the one Judeo-Christian society in history… You latch on to the Jews, and you get the blessings and the hatred of a lot of people.”

Question: Why did 9/11 have this affect on Jews and not the Holocaust?

Dennis: “The Holocaust was so overwhelming that the only effect it had on Jews was to depress them. The evil was too great.”



No comments: